Ruby Rides at Ruby Country
Ride the Ruby Country and Devon County Council are pleased to be able to offer the following 6 recommended horse riding routes in the southern part of Ruby Country. These routes utilising new trails, bridleways and quiet country roads form an important part of Ride the Ruby Country and will allow greater access to Ruby Country for visitors and local people and are also suitable for cyclists and walkers.
1. Turn right out of Forestry Commission car park.
2. Straight on for 50m.
3. Take furthest right forest track at junction.
4. Straight on for 1000m.
5. Straight over cross roads.
6. Straight on for 300m.
7. Turn right, across dismantled railway track.
8. Straight on for 500m.
9. Keep left at fork in track.
10. Continue straight on for 300m.
11. Straight on at cross roads for 400m (signposted "to Halwill").
12. Turn right along hedged lane.
13. Continue straight on and cross A3079.
14. Straight on along dismantled railway track for 1000m.
15. Follow bridleway over railway bridge at Brendon Farm.
16. Straight on to Halwill.
17. Turn right along road for 50m.
18. Turn left along bridleway (surfaced lane).
19. At Isted House, follow lane around to left.
20. Continue straight on past East and West Croft Farms to A3079.
21. Turn left along A3079 then take first right (signposted "Beaworthy").
22. Straight on for 2000m, passing Broadmoor Farm.
23. Turn left at Beaworthy Cross (signposted "Whiddon").
24. Take bridleway on the left after 80m.
25. At end of bridleway, turn left and follow road to Halwill Junction, passing Dreybury Farm and the Winsford Centre.
26. Turn right at the Junction Inn and follow road for 1500m.
27. Immediately before Chilla Chapel, take bridleway on left.
28. Turn left at end of bridleway onto permissive bridleway into Cookworthy Forest.
29. Continue straight on, straight over cross roads and return to car park along forest tracks.
Open all the time
email a friend
Cookworthy Forest Centre, Beaworthy, North Devon, EX21 5UX
Map reference: SS 410014 Lat: 50.79031 Long: -4.25719
There are many interesting and exciting places to visit and things to do in Ruby Country bringing you in contact with different aspects of the area and its heritage and wildlife.
Locted just off of Dartmoor
Parking : free
Accessible by Public Transport :
Also at this venue
Self-assessed accessibility details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is solid
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has a ramp
- Ramp to entrance
- Handrail by ramp
- Entrance is well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Effective lighting for visually impaired visitors